History

On 1 July, 1959 the City of Nedlands was proclaimed at the command of Governor Sir Charles Gairdner, in the packed Dalkeith Civic Hall. Mr Allan Jenkins read out the proclamation and the Minister for Local Government, Mr Leslie Logan, M.L.C. conducted the official swearing in ceremony of the new Mayor, John Charles Smith, the twelve new Councillors and the auditors. He then appointed Mr Allan Jenkins as the City's first Town Clerk. Among those present was MLA for Nedlands, Deputy Premier Charles Court.

Significant events and dates that contributed to the development of the City of Nedlands:

1893: The first move to establish Local Government in our area with the creation of the Claremont Road Board on 31 March, 1893, governing a total area of ten square miles; forty years after the death of Adam Armstrong, Nedlands' first resident.

1898: Approximately two square miles excised to form the Municipality of Claremont.

1932: Name changed from Claremont Road Board to Nedlands Road Board.

1956: Name changed from Nedlands Road Board to the Municipality of Nedlands.

1959: One hundred and thirty years after the first British settlement around the Swan River, Nedlands achieved City status. Name changed from Nedlands Road Board to the City of Nedlands while under the guidance of Mayor John Charles Smith Esq., JP Mayor.

Books

There are two (2) books detailing the history of Nedlands and its districts for sale at the City of Nedlands Administration Centre or for loan from the Nedlands Library.

'Nedlands from Campsite to City' by A. E. Williams ($23.10)
A history of the City of Nedlands from the days Aborigines made their camps in the area to the time it was proclaimed as a City.

'Asteroids on the Swan Vol 1 Nedlands Park the development of its Foreshore, Early Buildings and Owner's Lives' by M. R. Clarke ($16.45)
A collection of anecdotes from City of Nedlands Community and their children, along with photographs and maps.