Top image

Building Compliance and Complaints

The City of Nedlands is responsible for ensuring that all building works within its jurisdiction comply with the required legislative requirements laid out for building works within the state of Western Australia. The City has a responsibility to ensure that all development within the district is compliant with this legislation.

The Building Act includes powers that can be applied to control building matters including the ability to serve Building Orders and issue infringements. The Local Government Act, Local Laws and other regulations provide various powers to control other matters such as sand drift and the placing of materials on a thoroughfare.

How to lodge a complaint

Any person who is aggrieved by a building matter must lodge their complaint in writing either by e-mail, post or by hand and include the following;

a) The complainant’s name, property address and preferred contact details;

b) The property address where the alleged offence has occurred;

c) Details of the alleged offence;

d) How the alleged offence is having an impact on the complainant; and

e) If applicable the dates and times the alleged offence has occurred.

The City will record the complaint and send the information to the appropriate officer to deal with and respond back to you.

Complainant particulars will be kept confidential and will not be released to the offending parties without the consent of the complainant.

Please Note: The City will not respond to any anonymous complaints as it has no way of determining the validity of a complaint.

Submitting your complaint   

Post – PO Box 9 Nedlands WA 6909

In Person – Admin Centre 71 Stirling Highway Nedlands