Top image

Local Government Elections 2019

Local government ordinary elections are held on the third Saturday in October every two years. The next local government ordinary elections will be on 19 October 2019While voting in a local government election is not compulsory in Western Australia, all electors are strongly encouraged to vote. The City of Nedlands ordinary elections are administered by the Western Australian Electoral Commission and are conducted by postal vote. All eligible electors must be enrolled to receive their postal voting package. Packages are sent out 3 weeks prior to the election. For more information on voting in the local government elections, visit the Electoral Commission’s website.  

2019 Candidates


Cilla De Lacy

Leo McManus

Max Hipkins

Hollywood Ward Councillor

John Golawski

John Wetherall

Paul Poliwka

Sonya Derry

Dalkeith Ward Councillor

Andrew Mangano

Fergus Bennett

Ian Argyle

Robert Binks

Coastal Ward Councillor

Leo McManus

Jordan Kestel

Stashu Poliwka

Melvista Ward Councillor

Rajah Senathirajah 

Rebecca Coghlan

Nigel Shaw

Toni James


Information for candidates 

Councillors are elected for a term of four years in Western Australia. Elections are held every two years for half of the council (six Elected Members), and candidates are elected using the first-past-the-post voting system. Mayoral elections are held every four years and there will be a Mayoral election this year. 

Electors who wish to nominate as a candidate for Councillor or Mayor in a Local Government election must complete a valid nomination application and present it to the Returning Officer before nominations close. The Returning Officer is available to take your nominations, Thursday 5th September 2019 between 9am to 12 noon & Thursday 12 September 2019 between 12 noon to 4 pmAll other times during nomination week must be done by appointment with the Returning Officer Mary Petrou on 0414 895 196.

A “Prospective Candidates’ Information session” will be held at 7pm on Wednesday 14 August 2019 at The Grove Community Centre – 1 Leake Street, Peppermint Grove. This session is anticipated to finish at 8:30pm. 

For more information about nominating as a candidate, visit the Electoral Commission’s website or see the below document – Call for Nominations

Local government candidate induction

This year new laws have been introduced which makes it compulsory for all candidates nominating in a local government election to complete the department’s online induction.

You will be asked to declare that you have completed the online induction when filling out your nomination form. It is an offence to make false or misleading statements on the nomination form.

At the end of the induction you will need to fill in your details to register your completion. Please make sure you press the registration button at the end or your completion will not be registered. You should receive an email confirming you have completed the induction. Please keep this for your own records.

The induction should take no longer than one hour to complete.

Complete the local government candidate induction here.


Information for electors  

How do I enrol to vote? 

To enrol to vote in the local government elections visit the Australian Electoral Commission’s website.  


How can I find out if I am already enrolled? 

You are able to check if you are enrolled to vote on the Electoral Commission’s website.  


I own a property in the City of Nedlands but do not live there, can I vote in elections? 

Yes, you can. Please read the Owner Occupiers Electoral Roll Information Sheet, fill out an Enrolment Eligibility Claim form and return it to the City. 


I own properties in two wards of the City. Can I vote in the election for both wards? 

No, it is not possible for any person to exercise more than one vote per ward in a Local Government election, or to be recorded more than once on the same roll for a particular electorate. 


I run a business that occupies a property in the City of Nedlands but do not live in the City, can I vote in the elections? 

Yes, you can. Please read the Owner Occupiers Electoral Roll Information Sheet, fill out an Enrolment Eligibility Claim form and return it to the City. 


I have recently moved to a new house, will I still receive my postal voting package? 

To receive your postal vote you will need to update your details through the Australian Electoral Commission’s website.