Community Signage 

Signage plays a vital role in identifying the location of community facilities however, too much signage can become ineffective with a negative impact on the amenity of an area. For this reason, the City has an approval process for all new community signage.   

Community Signage refers to the blue sign blades located on verges or roadsides to provide information to road users via directions to local facilities, generally of a non-commercial nature. The City approves such signs in accordance with the requirements of AS 1742.5 and Council policy. 

For a sign to be deemed appropriate there needs to be a significant number of new visitors to the area seeking directions to the facility on a regular basis. Therefore, before making an application, please consider all effective ways of assisting people to reach the signed destination. This includes providing a clear address, a street directory reference or a map on stationery and promotional material. The City clearly displays all street names in situ and this, together with a clear address shown at the location, is the most useful way of assisting road users to reach the target destinations. 

Additional requirements on the location of community signage are detailed in the Council policy.

Signage fees 

A fee is payable when applying for a sign. This fee is not refunded if the application is refused. On written approval of the application, further payment is required by the City for the fabrication and erection of the sign(s) to proceed. Information on fees and charges can be found here.

The City reserves the right to remove community signage at its discretion. If this is within six months of the sign being erected, installation costs (not including the application fee) will be refunded to the applicant. 

Where it is proposed to erect a community sign within a road reserve that is under the care and control of Main Roads Western Australia (MRWA) (eg either Stirling Highway or West Coast Highway) application details must first be forwarded by the applicant to MRWA for assessment/comment and MRWA’s response should be included on the application to the City of Nedlands. 

To continue with your application for community signage, please follow the below application process. 

General signage 

The City of Nedlands manages and maintains over 480 signs including street name blades, parking signs and community signs.  The City is not responsible for any regulatory signs such as Speed limits, School Zone, Keep Left, or STOP signs. 

An easy way to identify which signs belong to the City is to check the colour of the pole on which the sign is mounted.  City-owned signs have green poles while any sign on a yellow pole is the responsibility of Main Roads Western Australia (MRWA).   

To report a fault to MRWA, click here.

Application Process

To apply for community signage, please complete the below application form and attach it to the enquiry form.

Application Form

Enquiry form