Sound is a normal part of everyday life. Some noise is unwanted or unpleasant sound and can interrupt our daily lives. The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 set noise levels for different parts of a neighbourhood at different times of the day/night. The Regulations allow for a level of noise and do not require absolute quiet. Where noisy activities are permitted, some of these are restricted to certain times and duration. 

However, the regulations do not cover:

  • Noise from traffic on roads, or trains (except model trains).
  • Noise from aircraft (except model planes)
  • Noise from safety warning devices

Types of noise complaints and solutions available:


Generally, construction noise is allowed from 7.00am to 7.00pm, Monday to Saturday (excluding public holidays).

In some cases, construction work may be permitted outside these hours if a builder or resident can prove it is reasonably necessary, and a noise management plan has been submitted and approved by the City’s environmental health team. For further information please see Regulation 13 Construction Sites .

Parties and 'Gathering' 

Music noise emitted from a party will generally exceed prescribed noise levels. Neighbours may tolerate 'one off parties' if they are notified before the party starts and the noise is not prolonged.

If you are planning a party, you are encouraged to speak to your neighbours as this can reduce the potential for complaints. The City suggests you let them know:

  • The date of the party
  • A phone number to contact the party-giver if the music gets too loud
  • Reassurance that the music will be switched off or turned down to a level that cannot be heard by neighbours after 10.00pm

The City’s officers do not respond to noisy parties after hours nor deal with behavioural matters associated with parties.  Complaints of this nature should be referred to the Police on 131 444. Police have the power to issue directions, turn off music, confiscate equipment and take necessary measures to maintain order. 


Stereo noise is allowed between the hours of 7.00am and 7.00pm, Monday to Saturday, and 9.00am and 7.00pm Sundays and public holidays as long as the music is at a reasonable level and not excessive.

If you intend playing loud music on your stereo, we encourage you to:

  • Close doors and windows
  • Turn down the volume at 7.00pm
  • Turn off the stereo at 10.00pm or turn the volume down to a point it cannot be heard outside your property boundary
  • Reduce the bass component of your stereo
  • Avoid locating speakers in alfresco or outside areas

Musical Instrument 

Musical instruments can be played between the hours of 7.00am and 7.00pm, Monday to Saturday, and 9.00am and 7.00pm Sundays and public holidays, for a maximum of one hour. Instruments must be played in a manner that is reasonable and does not interfere with the health or amenity of neighbours.

If you intend playing a musical instrument, it is preferable that you play it inside your property with your windows and doors closed. This will help reduce any impact on your neighbour.

Gardening and Power Tools (residential premises only)

Power tools and gardening equipment such as lawn mowers, whipper snippers, blower vacuums, chainsaws and hammers that make excessive noise, can be used for a maximum of two hours a day between 7.00am to 7.00pm Monday to Saturday, and 9.00am to 7.00pm Sundays and Public Holidays.

Air conditioners, pool pumps and other machinery noise 

Noise from air-conditioners, pool pumps and other mechanical equipment must comply with the assigned levels as stipulated in the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997a  Legal action can be taken against the owner and installer of a non-compliant, noisy air conditioner. 

With the reduction in housing block sizes and the consequent proximity of houses to each other, it is imperative that property owners and installers place air conditioners, pool pumps and other noisy machinery in the most suitable location. 

The Installers Guide to Air Conditioner Noise provides information to installers and residents regarding various factors that influence noise received by a neighbour. It is strongly recommended for consideration prior to the installation of an air-conditioner. 

Additional information and guidance to help you select and locate an appropriate air-conditioner is available at the City's Visual and Acoustic Privacy Guideline for Swimming Pool, Spas and Air-conditioners. 

Security or Car Alarm Noise 

The police can silence security and car alarms if the alarm is causing unreasonable noise and has persisted for at least 30 minutes. 

Where the alarm system becomes an ongoing issue an Environmental Health Officer may be able to assist.  

Industrial and Commercial Noise 

If you have a complaint about noise from commercial and industrial sites, contact our environmental health team unless the noise is coming from a premise that is licensed or registered by the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (DWER). To check if a premise is licensed by the DWER, use their search tool. 

Noise from Pubs, Clubs and Licensed Premises 

Noise from a pubs, clubs or licenced premises are required to comply with noise levels set by the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997. Complaints about noise coming from pubs and licensed premises can be made to the City or the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries.

Reporting a noise problem

Noise to report 

Who to Contact 

How to Complain 


Airservices Australia 

Noise Complaints & Information Service Hotline  
ph 1800 802 584 

Visit their webpage 

Noise from Council essential services including:

  • Waste collection
  • Road and drain cleaning
  • Cleaning of public places
  • Maintenance of verges and public places 

Ongoing – City of Nedlands 

Complete and return: 

  • A complaint form 
  • noise Log 

Noise from: 

  • Loud parties
  • Burglar alarms that have been sounding for >30 minutes 

Police – 131 444 and resident of the property 

Ongoing – City of Nedlands 

In the first instance: 

Complaints form 


Second and subsequent instances: 

Noise Log Guide & Noise Log 

Noise from:

  • Air conditioners
  • Swimming pools
  • Spas
  • Musical instruments on residential properties
  • Stereo music
  • Power tools on residential properties 

Resident of the property and City of Nedlands 

Complaints form & Noise Log 

Noise from:

  • Concerts/Events
  • Construction 

Event promoter or 
Construction company and City of Nedlands 

In the first instance: 

  • Contact event promoter or construction company 
  • Complaints form 

Second and subsequent instances: 

  • Complaints form 
  • Noise Log 

Passenger trains 

Public Transport Authority 

Phone: 13 62 13 

Traffic along major roads 

Main Roads Western Australia 

Phone: 13 81 38 

Out-of-hours works on rail network 

Public Transport Authority 

Phone: 13 62 13 

visit their webpage 

Very often the best approach for dealing with a neighbour who is causing you concern is to talk to them and work together to resolve the problem. Often people will be unaware that they are disturbing you and discussing this problem early on can help a neighbour understand your concerns and be more considerate in the future. 

Tips for talking to neighbours: 

  • If you decide to speak with your neighbour, plan what you are going to say and remember a pleasant and calm approach is more likely to achieve the desired outcome 
  • Choose the best time to visit your neighbour and explain how the noise is distressing you and if possible, offer solutions. Some people may feel anxious about talking to neighbours and it is understandable if a resident does not feel comfortable in approaching them in this way 

If you would like to report a noise issue, please complete the City’s Noise Complaint Form, including a Noise Log and return it at your earliest convenience.  

Make a noise complaint