Animals and Pets 


Being a responsible dog owner means ensuring your dog is registered with your local government, microchipped, trained, healthy, safe, well cared for, and does not create a nuisance to other members of your community. 

Responsible dog ownership 

To ensure compliance with the Dog Act 1976 – and for the wellbeing of the community and your animal please ensure your dog; 

  • can be effectively confined to your premises. 
  • is under the control of a competent person and on a leash not longer than 2m whenever in a public place. 
  • is only permitted off-leash in designated dog exercise areas. For more information regarding dog exercise areas in the City of Nedlands, the City has a Dog Exercise Map available.  
  • wears a collar with ID tag featuring your contact number and address, along with a current registration tag to allow for easy identification. 
  • is microchipped.  

Registering your dog

All dogs over the age of three months must be registered with a local government. To register your dog with the City of Nedlands, please fill out the dog registration form and return it to the City of Nedlands via post or attach it to the online registration submission form.

If you have received a registration renewal notice from us, you can pay via BPAY or online. Please see your registration renewal letter for payment details.   

 Dog registration fees: 

 One year 

 Three years 














 * A copy of a current Pensioner Concession Card or a copy of either a Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs Commonwealth Seniors Health Card must be produced to prove eligibility.  

Pensioners are only required to pay 50% of the applicable fee but must provide the City with a copy of the current Pensioner Concession Card. Please note: the discount does not apply to WA Seniors Card holders. Proof of sterilisation is required, which is usually provided by a veterinary surgeon’s certificate or a statutory declaration made by the owner. 

Valid registrations can be transferred without charge between all local councils within Western Australia.   

Enquire about pet registration


In accordance with the Dog Act 1976, it is a legal requirement that all dogs are microchipped.  

A veterinarian, veterinary nurse or a person with relevant qualifications from a registered training provider is able to implant a microchip in your dog. 

Proof of microchipping is also required to register your dog. This can be provided with either a copy of the microchip certificate/paperwork or a veterinary surgeon’s certificate. 

A person who fails to ensure their dog is microchipped after 1 November 2015 is liable for a fine of up to $5,000. 

Please also remember to update your pet’s microchip details through either of these registers: 

Central Animal Records 

Australasian Animal Registry 

Pet Address 

Loose or wandering dogs

Please prevent your dog from wandering the streets alone by ensuring your home is secure enough to prevent a dog from escaping. Keep in mind dogs can escape by digging, jumping and running out of open gates and garage doors. 

If your dog does escape, it could be collected by a Ranger and impounded. Rangers will try to reunite you with your lost dog but, if Rangers are unable to contact you, the dog may be impounded.   

The City’s impound facility is Swanbourne Veterinary Clinic, located at 2 Devon Road. The clinic is open seven days a week: 7.30am-7pm, Monday-Friday; 8am-4pm, Saturday; 8am-2pm, Sunday, and 8am-12pm public holidays. The contact number is 9384 2644. 

You can collect your dog during opening times. Before your dog is released, please ensure you have proof of ownership. Your dog must be registered and you must have proof it is registered with a local government and microchipped in accordance with the Dog Act 1976.  

Fees can be paid to the Swanbourne Veterinary Clinic at the time of collection. There is an impound fee of $140 and a sustenance fee of $40 per day.  

Report a wandering dog

Dog attacks

Dog attacks are taken very seriously by the City. Dog attacks can happen at any time and can range from simple threatening behaviour to serious attacks on a person or animal. The registered owner or person in control of the dog may be held responsible. Rangers will investigate as best as possible with a possible enforcement action that is in the best interest of the community and persons involved.  

We encourage all involved in the attack, no matter how big or small, to report it to Ranger Services as soon as possible, even if no injuries have been sustained. This gives Rangers an opportunity to educate and minimise further risks to the community.  

At the time, information may be hard to think of when you are involved in what can be quite a frightening experience. 

Details you may wish to consider:  

  • Dog owner's name and contact details 
  • Name of the attacking dog 
  • Taking photos as early as possible  

What should you do if your dog is the attacker?  

  • Confine your dog, away from the other dog/person 
  • Check the other person or dog's condition and take photos  
  • Provide your contact details 
  • Notify the City as early as possible 

Ranger Services appreciates all parties involved to cooperate with officers throughout the investigation. Please note that as part of the investigation, a statement will be required from the complainant/victim/dog owner/dog carer and any known witnesses to the alleged attack.

Report a dog attack

Dog barking and nuisances

Barking is a dog’s natural way communicating and a normal behaviour. However, if the dog continually or persistently barks then this constitutes a nuisance and may require City involvement.   

A dog owner may not realise that their dog’s bark is causing a nuisance as it often only occurs when the dog is left unattended.  

Report a dog barking


Some common causes of nuisance barking: 

  • Isolation, loneliness or boredom 
  • Anxiety 
  • Fence line distraction 
  • Deliberate or unintentional provocation by people or other dogs 
  • Insufficient mental and physical exercise 
  • Ill health, pain or discomfort 
  • Change of environment 
  • Breeding or temperament 
  • Inappropriate confinement.  


  • Ensure all your dog’s needs are being met 
  • Consult with your vet to ensure your dog is in good health 
  • Allow your dog free access to inside the house via a secured dog door or similar, or leave your dog inside during your absence 
  • Ensure both mental and physical exercise needs are met prior to leaving your dog 
  • Seek professional advice from a fear free trainer or Veterinary Behaviourist to ascertain the reason for the barking and find a humane and effective solution.  

If you are affected by a barking dog, it's best to contact the dog owner either directly or with a polite letter. If you are unable to approach the owner, please contact Ranger Services.  

When you report a barking dog you will be requested to assist in collecting the necessary evidence by keeping a Dog Barking Diary. The diary needs to be as accurate as possible as it may be used as evidence. You may be called upon to give evidence in court, however legal proceedings will only be taken as a last resort when all other possible remedies to abate the nuisance have failed. 

The City of Nedlands has providedbarking dog informationbelow. The Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries has also prepared an information guide on dog barking.  

If you are concerned about the welfare of the dog, please contact RSPCA WA via their website or by calling them on 1300 278 3589 (24 hours a day, seven days a week).  

Limitations on number of dogs per home

The City of Nedlands Local Law Relating to Dogs allows you to keep no more than two dogs over the age of three months.  

Households must apply for permission to keep more than two dogs by sending an application to the City, outlining the reasons why they wish to keep more than the required number of dogs. 

A fee of $175 applies to the application, which is non-refundable should the application be rejected.  

Dog exercise areas

Dogs are welcome at many different parks in the City of Nedlands. Regular exercise helps dogs relieve boredom and may also reduce unwanted behaviour such as excessive barking.  

The City of Nedlands has plenty of designated dog exercise areaswhere your dog may be exercised off-leash. Please keep the following in mind: 

  • ensure your dog is under supervision and effective control to prevent conflict with other dogs and people 
  • carry a lead with you at all times 
  • remove any excrement left by the dog 
  • dogs are prohibited at children’s playgrounds 
  • dogs must be on a lead when at playing fields used for organised sporting or other permitted activities.  



Responsible cat ownership 

In order to ensure you are a responsible cat owner, please ensure you: 

  • Register your cat with a local government. 
  • Microchip your cat. 
  • Sterilise your cat. 
  • Ensure your cat is easily identifiable with a collar that has a name tag and current registration tag. 
  • Ensure both your details and the cat's details are kept up-to-date with the local government and microchip registry. 

The City recommends that owners keep their cats indoors, particularly at night.  

By keeping your cat safe at home you will be:  

  • Reducing the risk of them getting sick, being hurt or dying in an accident  
  • Enjoying more quality time together  
  • Reducing the risk they will stray and be lost or impounded by the council  
  • Minimising the risk they will harm or kill other animals  
  • Preventing them from interacting with roaming cats  
  • Avoiding problems with your neighbours 
  • Giving them a better chance to enjoy a longer, healthier life.  

Registering your cat

All cats over the age of six months must be registered with a local government. Please complete the registration formand attach it to the pet registration submission form.

The cat registration period is from 1 November to 31 October (one year and three-year cat registrations expire on 31 October, regardless of the month the cat was registered). 

Cat registration fees 

1 year 

3 years 










 * A copy of a current Pensioner Concession Card or a copy of either a Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs Commonwealth Seniors Health Card must be produced to prove eligibility.  

Enquire about pet registration

Registration tags 

Once your cat is registered, you will be issued with a registration certificate and a valid registration tag that your cat is required to wear on its collar at all times. 

Proof of sterilisation is required when submitting your registration form. This is usually provided by a veterinary surgeon’s certificate, statutory declaration made by the owner or the sighting of a tattooed ear insignia denoting a sterilised cat. Falsely identifying your cat as sterilised may result in a $200 infringement notice.  

Breeding cats

The legislation requires that a person who chooses to breed cats must apply to their local government for a permit. When a cat is sold, the seller must ensure the cat is microchipped and sterilised before transfer. If the cat cannot be sterilised due to its young age, a voucher from the seller must be issued to the new owner. 

Only approved breeders will be exempt from sterilisation laws. 

Some further facts regarding your cat: 

  • Only two cats are permitted to be registered to a property. 
  • Only a registered cat breeder may have an unsterilised cat.  
  • All cats must be microchipped, sterilised and registered.  
  • There is an option for the lifetime registration of a cat. 


Pay animal registration renewal