Rates - Frequently Asked Questions

Rates Instalment Due Date

Notice Instalment Schedule Issue Date Due Date for payment
Notice issued Thursday, 24 August 2023 Thursday, 28 September 2023
2nd Instalment Tuesday, 31 October 2023 Friday, 1 December 2023 
3rd Instalment Friday, 12 January 2024 Tuesday, 13 February 2024
4th Instalment Friday, 15 March 2024 Tuesday, 16 April 2024

How can I pay my rates?

The City offers two payment options, these are:

  1. One payment option
    Pay the total amount upfront within 35 days of the issue date. No additional costs apply.
  2. Four instalment plan
    Spread the payments over four instalments. An administration fee of $51 and a 5.5% per annum instalment interest charge apply. You must pay arrears, a quarter of rates, waste management charges and fees within 35 days, then there are three equal installments two months apart.

What happens if I miss a payment?

Late payment interest of 11% per annum is charged on overdue payments, including instalments.

Can I set up a special payment arrangement?

Yes, you can set up a direct debit / payment arrangement through your financial institution. A $43.50 set-up fee applies.
Complete the required form which is available on here and submit it via this enquiry.

What are the payment methods available?

You can pay over the phone with a credit card, pay online with credit or debit card (surcharges apply), use BPAY, pay in person at Australia Post, or at Council Administration by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card.

How are differential rates calculated?

Differential rates for various land uses are set for the financial year. Rates are calculated based on the rate in the dollar and the Gross Rental Value (GRV) of the property. Differential rates adopted for the 2023/24 financial year are below.

Land Use Rate in the Dollar Minimum Payment
Residential 0.058446 $1,521 
Residential Vacant Land 0.077330 $1,849
Commercial 0.072116 $2,006

What is a minimum payment? 

If the calculation of GRV x rate in dollar is less than the minimum payment, then the minimum payment will be applied. This recognises that all properties benefit from services provided. A local government is able to set a minimum amount payable.

How can I register for eRates?

We encourage our ratepayers to receive their rates notices via email – it’s much more efficient and convenient, plus we don’t use paper which is better for the environment. Register online to receive rates notices via email, using your Rates Assessment Number from your notice. You can unsubscribe from eRates at any time.
Register for eRates. 

What should I do if my contact details change? 

Keeping your contact details up to date ensures that you receive important notifications and information from the City. Please use the contact form provided below to notify the City of any changes to your address or contact information.

Get in touch to update your details

How is the money collected through rates revenue used?

The City uses rates revenue to provide services for residents, including maintaining roads, footpaths, parks, and community facilities. It also covers services like libraries, positive aging programs, environmental health, and more. These services are determined through community input, approved by the Council, and in accordance with legislation.

How is the total rates revenue calculated for the year?

For the upcoming year, the City plans its budget for capital and operating expenses, excluding rates income. Any remaining funds needed to cover these expenses are raised through rates revenue. 

Why has the rate in the dollar increased?

To maintain the same revenue from different property categories (residential, non-residential, vacant), the rate in the dollar may be adjusted. If property values change, the rate may be increased to meet the revenue needs.

What efforts does the City make to control spending?

The City's budget is carefully designed to sustain services and service levels throughout the community. The City reviews operational costs critically to ensure essential services are maintained. The capital program is aligned with the City's capacity for delivery.

Can the City use its reserves instead of increasing rates?

The City has limits on its reserves, and the budget has already used reserves responsibly to cover planned expenses. While reserves are used, it's important to balance responsible financial management and ensuring future funding needs are met.

What is the Emergency Services Levy (ESL)?

The ESL is an annual charge paid by property owners in Western Australia. It funds emergency services and is collected by the City on behalf of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).

What is a pool inspection fee?

Private swimming pool enclosures must be inspected every 4 years. This fee supports these inspections.

Are concessions available for pensioners and seniors?

Eligible pensioners/seniors may qualify for rate and Emergency Services Levy concessions. Visit the Water Corporate's rates concession page to register. 

I recently purchased a property. What do I need to do?

Notify the City within 3 days of settlement. Settlement agents handle financial transactions, including rates payment.

What can I do if I disagree with the GRV for my property?

You can lodge an objection within 60 days of rate notice issue. You must pay rates as assessed by the due date. If your objection is successful, you will be refunded accordingly.

What happens to overdue rates and interest?

Rates are overdue where no election has been made to enter an instalment option or a direct debit arrangement, and where rates and charges remain outstanding after the due date of issue. Overdue rates accrue daily interest. Legal recovery proceeding, including court action, may be initiated.

What are the court and/or Local Government Act 1995 recovery proceedings?

All legal recovery proceeding costs, including collection agency and solicitors, will be charged to the property and will be due and payable in full, along with the debt sought, prior to ceasing the collection proceedings. Proceedings via the courts may result in an irreversible detrimental notation being applied against each property owner’s Australian credit rating record by the relevant reporting agencies. The credit rating organisations obtain details of legal recovery proceedings direct from the court. 

Section 6.64 of the Local Government Act 1995 

Where a property is in arrears for a period of 3 years or more may take possession of the property and (a) from time to time lease the land (b) sell the land (c) cause the land to be transferred to the Crown or (d) cause the land to be transferred to itself. 

All costs associated with these proceedings, including advertisement and marketing, will be charged to the property and will be due and payable in full, along with the debt sought. 

Section 6.60 of the Local Government Act 1995 

The City may issue a Rental Garnishee Order on the lessee/tenant of a property. This order will require that lessee/tenant to pay to the City all rentals as they fall due in payment of any arrears and/or overdue rating balances. 

All order service costs will be charged to the property and will be due and payable in full, along with the debt sought, prior withdrawing an order. 

What do I do if I still have questions about my rates?

If you still have questions about your rates, please use this form to contact us.

Make a rates enquiry